Thursday, December 5, 2013

Cancer, turning 31 & giving

Wow...when I mentioned technical difficulties I really meant it! For reasons still unknown, I couldn't sign into this blog for over a month! Well anyway, I'm back!

Since my last post in August, here's a quick recap that I'll elaborate on in a minute. In a nutshell, I turned 31, carried on the giving challenge, and my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Lots of happy, sad & mixed emotions!

Five years ago if someone had asked how I felt about turning 31, I would've cringed & said I dreaded getting "OLD". Now that I've cruised over the speed bump of turning 30 & full on entered my 30's by turning 31, I am really just 100% happy to be alive, and to say I made it to 31 & honestly look forward to the years to come. I've come to learn that you're really only as old as you feel...and much of how we feel lies within our control. I made the decision to be the best me that I can...to embrace being given the gift of another beautiful year! I celebrated my birthday with my closest friends and was reminded how blessed I am. I've heard before that you truly become who you are in your 30's. I can already say that I believe that whole heartedly. Some people may find themselves earlier in life, but over the last 2 years, I've learned more about myself than I did in my 20's, and I'm excited to see what the years to come will unveil for me!

Now about the giving stuff...of course I'm not super woman, and I haven't stayed on top of giving every single day. However, since the official challenge I've made a conscious effort to give more, and to focus more on what I can do for others. In the process, I've developed friendships & met some amazing people! My eyes have been opened to the beauty that lies within people when they open their hearts & reach out to others. There is so much negativity on the news, in the world in general...but if you step away from that & get involved in something that presents you with an opportunity to give back, you'll see that there is also SO much positive in the world too! I've learned a lot about myself along this journey!

And last...I heard the words I've always feared, and am still allowing them to sink in.  My dad has cancer. He was diagnosed just a few weeks ago, and we don't yet have answers to the questions that come along with that kind of news. We're optimistic, and his attitude is great, which has made things easier.  Hopefully I'll have a positive update next time I post!








No comments:

Post a Comment