Monday, August 12, 2013

#23- random act of kindness

“When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”

The 14th Dalai Lama (1935)

I'm starting to be more aware of random opportunities to give, as my challenge nears the end. I've really enjoyed this challenge, and it's given me much more than I could have ever hoped for. When my 29 days is up, I plan to continue giving on a regular basis.

Day #23- Bryan and I had just dropped the kids off for a sleepover with their grandparents. We had plans to meet up with a few friends downtown to watch my brother's band perform.On the way there, as we exited the freeway we seen a homeless man on the corner. I've said before that I have a soft spot for the homeless. Yes there are some that I'm skeptical of...but I feel that those who stand on corners with signs who aren't honestly in need will be the ones carrying that on their conscience forever. Not me. I give because I know there ARE people in need, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to help.  This particular man was holding a sign that really stood out to me. He wasn't asking for $ or food specifically. His sign said " anything helps. Always remember to SMILE".  And he stood there waving & smiling at everyone. I couldn't help but feel like, wow...look how happy this guy is to just have someone smile & wave at him, rather than avoiding eye contact like most do. It didn't matter that most likely everything he owned was sitting in the bag next to him...or that it was 95 degrees & he was sweating to death in long sleeves...or that he was hungry & dirty. He was happy. We smiled & waved and I knew this was my opportunity. Bryan knew it was too. While we talked in the car about wishing we had something to give, we decided to drive to Wendy's near by & buy him dinner. Can I just say, not only does Bryan support me 100%, but he has a heart of gold & this meant as much to him as it did me. We got a combo meal & headed back to where the guy had been standing.He was walking away as we tried to find a place to pull over so we ended up having to turn around and find him. He had gone in a nearby restaurant to refill his thermos with water, so we waited outside for him. As he walked out, I approached him & told him I bought him dinner. He got tears in his eyes as he took the food, and said thank you.  As we left the parking lot, I seen him go sit under a tree and immediately start eating...as if he hadn't eaten all day. Tears filled my eyes & a sense of gratitude for this beautiful life filled my heart. A $6 meal became a priceless gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment